According to Article VII, Section 1, of the 1987 Constitution vests executive power to the President of the Philippines, who functions as the head of state, head of government, and commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
The President of the Philippines (chief executive) exercises control over all the executive departments, bureaus, and offices.
The President is elected by direct vote by the people for a term of six years.
And he may only serve for one term, and is ineligible for re-election. The term of the President of the Philippines starts at noon of the 30th day of June after an election is held.
But President Benigno Aquino said lately that he is now open to the idea of a possible term extension.
In an interview broadcast on TV5 on Wednesday, the President admitted thinking about amending the Constitution.
He will be a President again. But why?
Some reasons why it is questionable.
1. He can't resolve the problem of corruption. The rich becomes rich but the poor people remains suffering. During his term, corruption increases and the prices of oil, mga bilihin(comsumer goods) also increases.
2. Lack of Employment. To finish school, to find someone to love, to start a family, to set up and grow a business or advance in their careers, and to live peaceful lives is everybody's dream. Hardworkers are not well compensated. Wage earners are exploited. Unemployment rate increase.
3. Poverty rate is high. Plus the crime rate is high. Slow judiciary system.
On May 9, 2013, a shooting incident took place involving patrolling personnel of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) on board BFAR MCS-3001 and a Taiwanese fishing vessel at Balintang Channel near the Batanes group of islands. The incident resulted in the death of a Taiwanese fisherman.
4. Traffic is forever. Specially during Mondays and rush hours. Maybe President Aquino failed to appoint personnels in-charge for transportation problems. Adding to that is the poor management of MRT3.
5. It was the year of Pork Barrel Scam. Politicians became more wealthy, Corruption in the government were hidden. He was also involved in DAP issue. They use National Treasury as their personal investment. So why not just after his term, he gives chance to others who are more deserving to lead the Philippines.
On a note, the idea of a term extension for the President was first proposed by some administration supporters in social networking sites, few days after his State of the Nation Address on July. In fact there is a facebook page dedicated to gain followers on that campaign/
Maybe it's time to give chance to others who are more deserving to lead the Philippines.
The oil price spiked during his term.
On a note, the SWS noted the Aquino administration scored a "very bad" -51 rating for "resolving the Maguindanao massacre case with justice," below the "poor" -26 in March 2013.
We can ask ourselves, why PNoy's intention of extending him term for another six years should not push?